Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My Favorite Albums of 2008

This time I've actually thought out all of the albums instead of just recalling ones off the top of my head. But now there is even an order to my choice. [I have not had a chance to actually take an indepth listen to Fleet Foxes' Ragged Wood, so please keep that in mind. It is amazing and would most definitely would be on this list if I had the time]

12. Vampire Weekend- Self-titled Album
With the catchy lyrics of pop music and the musical style that resemble Fleetwood Mac closer to anything else, what is there not to enjoy?

11. Dear And The Headlights- Drunk Like Bible Times
A somewhat hidden gem. I would not have heard of this band unless I went to a show of one of my favorite bands from last year, Steel Train (their album- Trampoline). Their style is much like Kings of Leon; however they posses a more exciting upbeat southern rock style. Just a fun number to listen to on the drive to work or school, or anytime in a car.

10. Kings of Leon- Only By The Night
I have been listening to their albums since Aha Shake Heartbreak (2005) and in this album they have finally grown into what they truly are. Their sound is exceptionally solid and fluid that was only hinted at in their last album. I personally cannot wait to see how they can could sound better then they do right now.

9. Sigur Ros- Með Suð Í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust
I don't know what they are saying, but they way it is said is beautiful.

8. Death Cab For Cutie- Narrow Stairs
I have been lulled to sleep many nights listening to the beginning of Bixby Canyon Bridge only to be woken up to the hush sounds of The Ice Is Getting Thinner. And have stayed up to listen to every song in between. A beautifully crafted piece of music that feels so fluid like one song rather than multiple songs strung together.

7. Arms- Kids Aflame
Having only had three songs by Arms earlier this year I found them catchy and melodic but without actually listening to them. After getting the entire album I have learned from my mistakes and have listened to this many times to rectify my wrong.

6. Lil' Wayne- Tha Carter III
*sigh* There really isn't anything else I can say about this. It is a guilty pleasure.

5. WHY?- Alopecia
It is more spoken word set to music then rock or rap. The lyrics are what pulled me in and they will pull you in too. You have my word.

4. How I Became The Bomb- Who Dares Wins EP
If you are fortunate enough to have stumbled upon my blog you owe it to yourself to download this EP for free and to love it.

3. TV On The Radio- Dear Science
I am more in love with their previous album, Return To Cookie Mountain (2006) then I ever was with this. But in no way am I saying this is bad. It just is not as good as their previous works, so I wont hold this slump against them. There is always next time.

2. Right Away, Great Captain!- The Eventually Home
If you don't know about Andy Hull's Right Away, Great Captain! you don't know jack shit about jack. So get this and the previous album, you wont regret it. On a side note, I cried while listening to Once Like You. I have never cried while listening to a song and probably will never again at least for a long time.

1. Bon Iver- For Emma, Forever Ago
Much like everyone else I am caught up in the Bon Iver love [however did love Justin's work prior to the fanatisim, but that is beside the point]. You should get this simple because it has the more beautiful and tortured [not torturing] sound I have every heard in music. Thank you Justin's ex-girlfriend for breaking his heart because if you hadn't we would have never had Bon Iver to bless out eardrums.

1 comment: